Let’s Modify Your Mood!
Is it just me or do you find yourself in such a mind funk sometimes? Unmotivated, bored, sad or angry. Sometimes, I don’t even know what I feel I just know I’m not happy. If that sounds a little like you, let me share with you how you can
- Shift that funk
- Modify your mood
- Start living a much happier life!
Your Mind is POWERFUL
Our brain is one hell of an organ. It is our powerhouse HQ. The impact our mental health has on our physical health is quite profound. We can actually “think” ourselves unwell. Research has found that poor mental health is linked with shorter lifespans and poorer overall health. That sucks.
But let’s focus on how you actually have the power to “think” yourself WELL!!
We’ve heard of the great things meditation can do. But in all honesty, it can be tricky for most of us to properly meditate. It’s a dedicated practice. We’re not used to switching off and so we struggle to sit still and think of nothing. The art of clearing our minds can be extremely challenging. So let me tell you instead about being MINDFUL.
Mindfulness is simply a practice of living in (and for) the now, the present. So often we go about our day on autopilot. Completing one task while we’re actually thinking of another. Maybe you’re sitting in a meeting thinking about an email you have to write; writing that email while you think of what to cook for dinner; cooking dinner while preparing for the weekend activities….and so on.
The practice of mindfulness is to simply let go. Let go of the past and the future (just for a short while) and simply BE, right there in that moment. We can do this easily by tapping into our senses.
Ok so you’re on your lunch break or watching the kids play outside. Let’s use this short break to practice being in the present and actually enjoy this moment…
Take a big deep breath and notice what you can see. Begin to notice the small things around you. The way the light is coming in the window, the movement of the trees, the colours, the shadows. Let the thoughts in your mind drift like clouds, in and away. Think only about what you are staring at.
Take another breath. Perhaps close your eyes and focus on the sounds around you. The birds whistling, the children giggling (or fighting), the hum of traffic, the rustle of the leaves. Enjoy these different sounds, focusing on each one.
Big deep breath through your nose. Bring your awareness to your skin. What do you feel? Can you feel the different textures of your clothes, the breeze against your cheek. The warmth of your own breath out your nostrils. Feel how solid the ground is beneath you. If you can, TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES!!! Dig your toes right down into the earth. Standing on natural ground (dirt, sand, grass) actually earths us. It allows all the positively charged protons zipping around our body to escape into the ground, neutralising us again. All the synthetic materials around us, lino floors, polyester clothing, carpet all contribute to creating static electricity. Ground yourself both physically and emotionally by standing with your toes wide and feet firmly planted on the earth.
Are you eating right now? It’s actually really important to be mindful every time you eat. Why? Because when you’re distracted, you’ll consume up to 25% MORE food. You’re less likely to feel satisfied and you’ll probably head to the fridge sooner too. Reduce your daily food intake and ENJOY your food more by practicing mindfulness at your next meal. Stop…look at your plate. Notice the colours, the different foods on there. Chew your mouthful. Pay attention to the feel of the food, the textures and those wonderful flavours. Yum.
Your sense of smell has the strongest impact on your mood and emotions. Smell is exceptionally powerful when it comes to memories and for anchoring into feelings. Why? Many think it has to do with our anatomy. Our nasal passage runs along the bottom of our brain and ends right underneath the emotional epicentre: the limbic system (hypothalamus, the hippocampus and the amygdala).
Let’s look at some oils you might find useful for shifting that mind funk.
- Anger– Spice oils like Thyme and Cardamom help shift anger. Boost the power and combine with wood oils like Spruce, Arborvitae, Myrrh. A wonderful blend to use is Forgive: The Renewing Blend which is a combination of many wood oils, a citrus and a few spice oils.
- Overwhelmed- Again wood oils are very relaxing and grounding when you are feeling overwhelmed and frazzled, particularly Sandalwood, White Fir and Douglas Fir. Citrus oils are wonderfully uplifting. Consider using Tangerine, Petitgrain, Wild Orange. Basil is helpful for focusing the mind when you are fatigued.
- Trust- Do you find it difficult to open up and trust others? Essential oils helpful for promoting feelings of trust and openness are Jasmine, Black Pepper, Cypress, Marjoram, Cedarwood, Geranium.
- Bored- Motivate: The Encouraging Blend is awesome for kicking your butt into gear. A blend of Peppermint (very invigorating), Clementine, Coriander, Basil (improve concentration), Yuzu, Melissa, Rosemary, & Vanilla. You could also try Dill, Lemongrass or Lime.
- Self-Conscious – We can be so harsh on ourselves. Especially in our society now where we are bombarded with marketing that’s sole purpose is to convince us we’re not good enough to we buy their stuff! I challenge you to stand in front of your mirror every morning, take a big whiff and dab on some Bergamot, Grapefruit or Smart & Sassy and tell yourself “I love you”. Tell yourself over and over again that you are amazing, worthwhile and beautiful. Because you absolutely are.
- Happy! – Let’s get you feeling happy by diffusing or rolling on some gorgeous floral and citrus oils. Ylang Ylang, Wild Orange, Elevation, Cheer, Citrus Bliss. Peppermint is also the oil of a buoyant heart and is so fresh and uplifting when it’s diffused too.
How you use these essential oils is up to you! You can use them Aromatically, Topically and if they are safe to do so, take Internally too. (Learn more about how to use oils). For managing emotions and shifting moods, aromatic use will be the most effective.
Want to get these oils in your life?? I don’t blame you. They’re amazing. Either send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org or check out how to get your kit.