Don’t you just hate it when you either can’t get to sleep….or you do but wake just a few hours later thinking about all the things you need to do. Staring at the clock counting down the hours, minutes, seconds of sleep you could get if you just went to sleep….NOW.
7 Hacks for more restful sleep.
- Look After Your Gut. It is responsible for 80-90% of serotonin production. Why does that matter? Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is responsible for so many functions in our body from our sex drive, balancing our moods, our memory to telling us we’re hungry, and of course….sleepy. Our gut is healthy when we eat really good quality fats like coconut oil and ghee, promote the growth of good bacteria by taking a probiotic, eating fermented foods and eating dark leafy greens. Avoiding things that damage our gut like allergens, antibiotics, hand sanitisers (soap and water is ideal).
- Minimise “Junk” Light. What’s that? It’s light that stops our brains from realising it is night time and stops the production of Melatonin (the hormone of sleep). Naturally, when the sun starts to set, less light enters our eyes and this triggers the production of melatonin. As levels rise, we become sleepy. This would normally result in us being ready for bed approximately 2hrs after sunset. Technology however means we’re getting LOTS of light in our eyes (blue light to be exact) from TV, computers, phones, tablet devices. How can you minimise it? Keep lighting minimal in the house after 6pm, red light will help increase melatonin production so consider swapping out a bulb here and there for a red one. If you do like to watch telly or need to work on your computer in the evening, investigate orange glasses from the hardware store. Orange will block blue light.
- Get Sunlight First Thing In The Morning. Natural sunlight flooding your eyeballs in the morning is what triggers the crash in Melatonin levels and helps wake you up to feel fresh and energised. Don’t stare directly into the sun but maybe consider driving to work without sunnies, have your cuppa outside or next to a nice big window. Go for a walk in the morning in the sun. It’s actually the time you wake UP that resets your body clock NOT the time you go to sleep. So get up, get some sun and sleep better that night.
- Lavender + Frankincense / Vetiver. Powerhouse oils for sleep and relaxation…lavender and Frankincense. Also considered “liquid sleep” in my oily circles is a grass oil called Vetiver. This oil is like honey, thick and delicious. Very musky and earthy. I like to add 1 drop of Vetiver with 2 drops of Lavender in our bedroom diffuser for sleep. Wood oils like the King (Frank) are very calming and relaxing so great for destressing and unwinding. Lavender has always been known for it’s calming properties both on our bodies and minds. Linalool is the main compound of Lavender that makes it calming. If you’re not into floral oils, Petitgrain is a citrus oil that is very high in Linalool too so would work as a nice alternative.
- Consider Supplements. Modern farming practices the way they are means high crop turnover and less and less nutrients in the soil. This then means less nutrients in our food. You could eat the “perfect” diet and still be lacking in some essential vitamins and minerals. Magnesium is really important for our bodies and helps us remain calm and relaxed. Epsom salt baths, Magnesium salt sprays or raw cacao are all great ways to get some extra magnesium. doTERRA do an incredible range of supplements with all NATURALLY DERIVED vitamins and minerals making them bioavailable. These supplements won’t turn your pee bright yellow. You’ll actually be able to absorb and use them rather than flushing them all down the toilet! LifeLong Vitality. Check it out and consider making the swap. You won’t regret it!
- Be Mindful. Meditating might seem far beyond your reach. I certainly can’t switch my mind off completely but I do love to practice mindfulness. This helps bring me back to the present, get out of the swirling rat race that seems like my life some days. I am able to smile and enjoy the little things rather than missing out because I’m thinking 4 steps ahead all the time. Check out my recent post on how to be mindful here.
- Sleepy Time Blend Idea. This is my family’s FAVOURITE sleep blend. I make it up into a 10mL roller bottle and my daughter actually rolls it on her own feet every night before she goes to bed. It has therefore been affectionately nicknamed “Sleep Feet”. When I’m unable to switch off my racing mind and wind down for sleep. Maybe I’m stressed or maybe I’m actually really excited about something and have lots of ideas rolling around. Either way…11pm is not the time to brainstorm, it is the time for SLEEP. So I roll this on my temples, neck and wrists and find myself able to switch off, wind down and get to sleep. Magic!
- 6 x Lavender
- 6 x Frankincense
- 4 x Vetiver
- 3 x Ylang Ylang
- 3 x Lemon
- 2 x Wild Orange
How To Order:
To get your hands on the oils and start getting more restful, regenerative sleep….shoot me an email email@example.com or message me on Facebook for help working out the best option for your needs and budget.
If you’re the independent type and know what you want…skip the line and go straight to my shop! To get your oils at WHOLESALE (25% off) prices click Join & Save. Otherwise, if you just want one oil to try, you can purchase an oil at retail by clicking the “Shop” tab.